Hiyo Silver, Away!

Hiyo Silver, Away!

Saturday, August 7, 2010

July 27 - July 28

July 27

A much needed rest day

July 28

It was good to get back in the saddle after a 4-week break, but it was also tough to power along after such a long break. We began at Three Forks, MT, where the headwaters of the Missouri are formed by the Jefferson, Gallatin and Madison Rivers. The route today followed the Jefferson river (just as Clark followed it in August of 1805). It was a beautiful day with moderate headwinds and light cloud cover, but the afternoon brought thunderstorms, so Jamye picked me up outside of Dillon after I had pedaled 55 miles. I did have a crash, but I am fine, as is my bike- a few scratches and a mildly sprained wrist. It happened when two 18-wheelers were approaching each other while I was on the side of one of them. I saw the one behind me in my rearview mirror and made a move to get a little farther to the right on the narrow shoulder. The shoulder was soft gravel and I went down hard but managed to stay off the road as I skidded on my side down the shoulder. A car behind the trucker stopped to check on me; fortunately, I came out with just cuts on my leg and strawberries on my hip and shoulder. The most delicate moments come on two lane roads with narrow shoulders and trucks that are passing in opposite directions while I am directly beside the passing trucks. I have been able to manage those moments but had not expected the soft gravel to bring me down as it did. I am thankful that the lesson came with little cost.









No comments:

Post a Comment