Hiyo Silver, Away!

Hiyo Silver, Away!

Friday, August 20, 2010

August 13

August 13

I took today off from riding to get some much needed rest and to spend more time with my friend Matt. We had breakfast together at The Stepping Stone CafĂ©, an establishment touted by locals as the best breakfast in Portland. The food was great and the pancakes were larger than the plates, but the service was poor. Perhaps the waiters were taking too seriously the restaurant’s slogan, “You eat here because we let you”. Matt dropped me off at the campground and we planned to meet again in Astoria, OR with Callie over the weekend. In the afternoon, Jamye and I met some good folks at the park who became great friends during our brief time together. Barry and Jan Klein were ‘full-timers’, former Airstream owners who moved up to a beautiful 40’ rig. Once Barry heard about our adventure, he thought it would be appropriate that he give me a cap he had been holding for the ‘right person’. He gave me a cap to cherish from the bike shop of 7-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong, Mellow Johnny’s Bike Shop. Barry and I clicked like ‘brothers from another mother’. We did some shopping together in the afternoon and on Friday evening the four of us enjoyed Cuban cigars and fine wine…and some great vodka! I didn’t care that the next morning was ride day. We told stories and laughed late into the evening. We look forward to reconnecting with them one day soon again.


Larry, Barry and Jan Klein











No comments:

Post a Comment