Hiyo Silver, Away!

Hiyo Silver, Away!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

August 11

August 11

I got an early start in Biggs on the Oregon side and Jamye and I met in The Dalles to get the spare fixed, but it was not repairable, so we bought a new tire. Once back on the road out of The Dalles, I was officially in the Columbia River Gorge, where headwinds were fierce. I rode up on a Grandfather with his 17 year-old Grandson, who were on the return bike trip that began in Seattle, WA and went to Glacier, MT. The Grandfather, Charles Packard, was 71, retired Navy. His Grandson, Kai, lived in Southern California and was to return to school the following week. I thought that I, too, would like to get in a bike tour with my Grandchild one day. I pulled them along into the winds for a brief few miles and then was on my way. Once I hit Mosier, OR, I got onto the Historic Columbia River Highway State trail, which was a nice bikes-only trail of about 7 miles. We called it a day after 55 miles so that we could get ready for a drive into Troutdale, OR to meet with Ottie Dixon, a very close friend from IP who was on a business trip to Portland. Jamye, Ottie and I had a wonderful evening together at McMenamin’s in Troutdale.

Kai, Larry and Charles Packard


















































Ottie Dixon and Larry


No comments:

Post a Comment