Hiyo Silver, Away!

Hiyo Silver, Away!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

August 7

August 7

We wanted to get to Walla Walla, WA today so that I could get my new iphone issues resolved at an ATT store (I destroyed my last iphone while kayaking in the St Lawrence River in mid July). The short 28 mile ride was one of unique beauty, with wheat fields nearly covering the entire rolling landscape. The farmers were out in force, running multiple combines across the hillsides. The strong winds created a juxtaposition of shade and sunlight across the wheat fields, giving a dance-like movement to the landscape. I had never known that wheat was so prolific in this part of the country. Now there is new competition for wheat…wine. Vineyards have driven up the cost of real estate in eastern Washington and will no doubt put pressure on wheat farmers for what is a less lucrative crop. Monday, it will be on to Oregon and the Columbia.











No comments:

Post a Comment